12.05.2011

Magazine Play Houses

Tinkerlab Creative Challenge
Tinkerlab is up to it again with a great creative challenge: Magazines

We actually did way more than one project.  It was hard to stop once we started.  The project that was most successful and fun for my children was...
Magazine Upcycle Houses
Magazine Play Houses 

This is an awesome way to upcycle magazines as well as boxes.  We took cardboard by cutting the sides off boxes we had in our recycle bin.  Three sides were used for each child's house.  One for the bottom/floor layer, and the other two were used for the walls.  The walls were made by cutting a straight line halfway down the middle of the two pieces of cardboard.  Then connecting the cut lines onto each other to create a nice fit.  I used a glue gun to adhere the walls and floor together.  This gave the kids four rooms in which to create their house.  If you want a door from one room to the next it is important to cut that out first before hot gluing together.
Magazine Upcycle Houses

We then searched through magazines to find pictures that they liked for the walls and floors. (Better Homes and Gardens was the best for this project.)  My oldest was more keen on cutting out parts of pictures to make up the whole room while my youngest who was helped a lot by mom made each room out of an entire picture.
Magazine Upcycle Houses Magazine Upcycle Houses Magazine Upcycle Houses
This is a great art activity if you want to entertain your children for a long time.  We worked together on this project for about half a day.  Then the other half of the day was spent playing in the houses.  I am sure as we have more magazines to discard the children will add to their magazine play houses.
Magazine Upcycle Houses

Several other bloggers independently went to work with the challenge to make or do something with used magazines. I am so excited to see what others came up with.  

The bloggers involved in this challenge are:
Check out their ideas below:

20 comments:

  1. I love this idea of making play houses, its like the kids are making their own doll houses!! I will have to try this with putti, im sure she will love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool Laura. I wish I had magazines around to do this - used to take Better Homes & Gardens but I don't anymore and I've sent them all to the recycle bin. Shame, shame. I will remember this if I ever come across some good magazines though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your information is very useful to us...THANK YOU..
    <a href="www.ariestechsoft.net”>mlm software noida</a>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I love your house! We recently made one too (yet to go on blog) and you are right, magazines are perfect for cutting out radiators and details. Love your dining room. Brilliant!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great! Look at those happy little critters with new homes to play in! (I mean the figures, of course, not your children!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic use of the magazine pages. Brilliant and creative. I loved each part of the house :) This sure will encourage hours of play!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I tried to send a link to Monday Madness and I was wrong (I linked here how we paint the wall ¬¬). Magazines? Nice idea! I promise we'll do something and link it in the correct place! I'm a beginner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute idea. I've been meaning to make a playhouse for my girls but just don't have the time with the holidays right now. This one looks simple enough it may actually be doable. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower. Would love you to stop by DIY Home Sweet Home

    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday would love you to stop by Monday and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what an exciting project!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome project!!! I love it. My mom found Little M a great set of barbie furniture at a yard sale. Since I cringe at the idea of having doll house big enough to fit it we are always looking for ways to make temporary doll houses. She will love this post... I can't wait to show her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! This is a brilliant idea and so much fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute idea! When I was a little girl my father made me a Barbie House and used magazine pictures to design the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My almost 4 year old would love this idea! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a FANTASTIC Idea! My daughter would probably LOVE that little magazine house ;) This would also be fantastic for my new Thrifty Thursday Linky Party..I'd love for you to stop by and share if you'd like! I just linked up to your linky for the first time also today!

    http://www.playingwithwords365.com/2011/11/thrifty-thursday-linky-party-1/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh - that is such a great idea!!! I can see so many things I could do in the classroom with this!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to try this project out with my 3 year old! I love how it has multiple sides and can also see this enabling kids to play together while maintaining their own space (can you tell that I also have a 1 year old?!). Thank you so much for joining the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks so much. Feel free to leave your blog or email info so I can get back to you.