3.22.2011

Why Art For Little Hands

Recently we moved from a gorgeous house to a small rental.  Not only has space been an issue, but the rental is dark as the trees block the sun from entering.  I soon became depressed and not myself.  Nothing seemed to be helping me.  Winter blues made everything worse.  Then I had an idea.  I felt the need to get myself out of bed, get the kids away from the television, and get us doing fun things.  My children love to explore, get dirty, and create art out of anything.  I was inspired one day to duplicate some art work found in a children's book and that sparked the idea of Art For Little Hands.  As we worked on the art project, I experienced joy I hadn't in a long time.  I felt a purpose to life I hadn't in many years.  Trying to sleep that night, I decided to dedicate more time to the arts in my home.  I made a goal of doing one art project a day with my children.  Not only for them, but for me.  My philosophy with art is that it is as therapeutic for adults as it is for children.  I got my degree over 8 years ago in elementary education and before that I enjoyed art classes at a local art school in Salt Lake City where I grew up.  In the eight years of being a parent and stay at home mom, I felt I wasn't adding much value to the world.  My days seemed to revolve around fixing meals and cleaning up messes.  This blog is a way for me to get myself out of a funk I have been in for over 9 months.  I am determined that through the arts not only will my children benefit, but I will as well.  Follow me on my journey.  I am exciting to share all the ideas I have rolling around in my head.

3 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a wonderful idea! I'm not artsy at all so I'm sure I'll be using some of your ideas for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl!! I don't know where you got your artistic talent from, but you've got it. Hang in there!! In life, you are about as happy as you want to be, so make it happen that you are happy. xoxo MOM

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks so much. Feel free to leave your blog or email info so I can get back to you.