11.02.2011

Treat kids like real artists

With art I feel like buying the right materials can make a lot of the difference. It isn't necessary for kids to have the most expensive and best, but some products are better than others and it is very apparent with watercolors.
Ally Watercolor 
I hate seeing watercolors that my children bring home for me from school. More times that not they are done on regular thin computer papers, sometimes they are done on cardstock, but never are they done on watercolor paper. It is more expencive, but I think worth the price.
Ally Watercolor  
I don't buy the heavy watercolor paper I used to work on when I was younger (it can be very pricey for one sheet.)  I usually go to a craft store like Michaels or JoAnn's and buy a pad of watercolor paper.  This last time I bought a cold press 140 lb paper.  My kids know that it is special paper and they don't really "waste" it like they do plain white paper.  But because it is special they work harder when they paint and tend to take it more seriously.  Which is one of the reasons I think using real watercolor paper is better than just paper paper.

Ally Watercolor 
I also bought my kids real watercolors that come in a tube along with a little artists palette.  I only got them a little one because I want them to mix the colors more to make their art work.  It is good to let them learn about the mixing with watercolors so start with red, yellow and blue and see what happens.  I think I threw on green for my kids too, but they could have done without that.  Watercolors in the tube will last for a long time.  I bought the smallest ones and they are still practically full.  My kids had to be taught how to use a small amount when it is still wet paint, but once it dries hard on the pallet it is easier for them not to use too much paint with their water.

Ally Watercolor 
The other night my daughter Ally wanted to do some water coloring.  We have always done it flat on a table, but she had other ideas.  She asked to use the easel.  She was really excited to do it that way.  She even said at one point, "look I am a real artist."  That statement right there is what I want for my kids.  I want to provide them with good art supplies to treat them like the are real artists they are.
Ally Watercolor What do you do to treat your kids like they are real artists? 





I often link to these blogs.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this- I have always treated my kids like real artist and I like to show them works in books or galleries and imply that they TOO could do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too - it's useless trying to use proper watercolours on anything other than watercolour paper. My 4 year old is currently addicted to using liquid watercolours in a spray (which I make up from powder - very economical, as a little goes a long way). This means he needs quite a thick paper, but I cut it into smaller sheets for him to use, since he's quite prolific. Some of the effects he produces are beautiful, and have inspired me to experiment more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you, Laura. The quality of material can make a huge difference to the attitude with which the children will approach their work of art. Working on the right paper goes a long way...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks so much. Feel free to leave your blog or email info so I can get back to you.